Help me create a new kind of license?

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I’m writing a new programming language that I wish to open-source, as one does, and it seems like there is no license out there that answers my needs.

I want the use of my language, including all the tooling, to be free for use by anyone, even in commercial products (MIT-ish). But if a commercial entity wants to expose the language itself as an interface to their clients, they’ll have to buy a license from me.

Because it’s unorthodox, I’ll try to give a short explanation of my reasoning. It’s a database language, and if it gains traction and becomes somewhat of a standard, all sorts of service providers might want to include it in their product, as an interface for their users. So, I’m trying to capture some that long-run value, while being relatively nonrestrictive (being too restrictive might significantly hinder adoption).

So, I’m wondering if perhaps the prosperity license could be altered to support something like, and if so, how would I go about it? And if not, can you recommend someone who might be able to help me with this?

Also, I’m open to general suggestions and opinions. Let me know if you think I’m misguided, I can take it.

Thanks for reading!

1 Like

This is not within scope of any current Artless Devices projects. But I’d encourage you to have a look at the Normally Open license template.

1 Like