Jack Conte of Patreon

Interesting peak into the CEO of Patreon’s head:

I have lots of thoughts and feelings about this, but for what Jack says and how it’s presented. But I’m secretly hoping folks here will watch it and tell me what they think instead. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Cool, will check it out later.

This could also be of interest, a conference call between all the big names in the space upon its early days:

1 Like

A nice reminder of the importance of persistence and maintaining perspective.

Makes me wonder, with all the work you’ve done on licensing, did you ever try something in this direction?

1 Like

FWIW, I don’t view License Zero as a failure, just that it was a few years ahead of its time.

Adoption of a dual-licensing platform is always going to lag behind adoption of dual-licensing as a business model, which in turn lags behind the adoption of suitable licenses. There’s also the slow cultural shift as unpaid open source developers burn out, and the next generation of programmers see that doing commercially valuable work for free isn’t such a good idea.

1 Like

Meng Wong and I go back.

I’ve done quite a bit of work on automation and tools for legal contract drafting:

1 Like

I don’t see L0 as anything close to a failure. And not just because I woke up this morning to news that we’d sold another license.

I do see it as evolving into strictEq, which is a stronger, wiser package.

1 Like

oh the best video on creative success is this one

if you don’t have 20 minutes, i’d say 17:22 to 18:04 is the thesis of the talk, but it’s all good

1 Like

That was a great rec. I sent along to a friend!

1 Like