License for Operating systems

Hi all,

Just recently found license zero. Is Parity better choice for Operating system development?

Thanks,
JP

Welcome!

Parity or Prosperity are two licenses that I believe were originally designed to work with the automated License Zero.

Did you want to focus on paid private licenses or the widely permissive, free as long as source is open that Parity outlines?

Let us know more about what you’re trying to accomplish.

1 Like

My concern is what should be future next OS license should be? Also toolchain it uses underneath. I see there is BSD which are coherent but not wildely adopted maybe due to licensing that people don’t like it ?

1 Like

@jayp, welcome to the forum.

I don’t think there’s a “best license” inherent to any particular kind of software, be it apps or operating systems. Any more than there’s a “best” set of goals for project, like having the most impact, creating reputation, unseating an incumbent, and so on.

The best license choice for a project follows from the goals of the project and what those working believe to be the relevant facts about potential users, contributors, competitors, and customers.

1 Like

What my concern is can prosperity and parity be compatible with gplv3 , BSD, ISC alike as Operating System requires lot of utilities which are different licenses.

“Compatibility” in open licensing really just means “can GPL have its way?” GPL does not allow combination with copyleft stronger than GPL, like Parity, or noncommercial terms, like Prosperity.

Combining with BSD, ISD, MIT, Apache 2.0, Blue Oak, and other highly permissive licenses isn’t a problem.

1 Like