New Venture: Fast Path License

I’m in the process of launching a new business venture under the Artless Devices umbrella: the Fast Path License. This isn’t quite ready for public debut, but I thought I’d share here, in case folks are interested.

In essence, Fast Path offers a wizard for generating highly configurable commercial software license terms. The business model is pay-per-close: if you make a sale using Fast Path terms, you owe Artless Devices a flat fee, paid via Stripe link. I have no crystal ball when it comes to pricing this, but plan to lead out at $10 per sale to individual customers and $100 per sale to organizations. I’ll be open to negotiating side deals, as well. Especially with sellers who provide good feedback, testimonials, or other marketing help.

Behind the scenes, this is a much improved proprietary “fork” of my own prior open work on Polyform Commercial, which borrowed a lot from the paid license form I published on indieopensource.com. A number of clients (and non-clients) have been able to use that work over time. But I’ve also been hearing more and more about new features. Drafting for this kind of wizard is challenging but very enjoyable for me. I’d like to have financial justification to spend more time making sure Fast Path always spits out the best language I have.

My primary need at this point is a logo. Need to get on that.

By the by, I do hope to get forum conversations going about Fast Path. But rather than welcome all those folks here, under a category or something, I’m going to point them to the new forum.blackacrelabs.com. I’d like to build that up as a forum for legal technology and other legal shenanigans, beyond just my own ventures.

3 Likes

Fast Path offers a wizard for generating highly configurable commercial software license terms

Hah!
I made a tool for doing that which I used to generate Lux’s license.
I always wanted to talk to you about it in case you were interested in collaboration, but I guess I procrastinated too much.

1 Like

I have officially launched Fast Path, at version 1.0.0.

Blog Post: https://writing.kemitchell.com/2022/01/22/Fast-Path-1.0.0.html

Tweet: https://twitter.com/fastpathlicense/status/1477722744091398144

2 Likes

I was curious about what your form and your system would look like and how it would compare to mine.

I have to say that FastPath has blown me away. It looks amazing.

Now I’m seriously considering using FastPath in the future and drop my custom solution.

I may still need a few things not covered by FastPath (I’ll have to review both my license and the details of what FastPath generates), but hopefully you’ll be open to feedback to add things if I need it.

1 Like

Congrats on the launch!

1 Like

Thanks so much for kind words! I am definitely excited about taking this public, and opportunities to hear about more features folks would actually use are a big part of that.

I also mean what I’ve said on both blog post and website: I’m very open to discussing custom pricing, especially early on. Especially with folks coming in with new ideas or energy to help on the marketing front.

Fast Path is a project under Artless Devices, my LLC, which also runs this forum. But I am pointing folks to forum.blackacrelabs.com for discussions. There isn’t any good, public forum for interesting legal technology work that I’m aware of, and I’d like to take the chance to try and bootstrap one.

1 Like