Readability Feedback on Parity, Prosperity, and Other Licenses

A kind Parity adopter dropped by the GitHub repo to mention some reading confusion in the Copyright and Patent sections of the terms. The upshot, now in a pull request, looks like this:

Copyright

The contributor licenses yougives you license to do everything with this software that would otherwise infringe their copyright in it.

Patent

The contributor licenses yougives you license to do everything with this software that would otherwise infringe any patents they can license or become able to license.

Does this seem easier to read for other folks here?

Two forces are at play here:

1. I agree that most people looking at software license terms are unlikely to have seen “license” as a verb very much, and very likely to have seen “license” as a noun.

2. I first thought about saying “the contributors gives you a license”, but I remembered that other terms talk about “this license” and “your license”. I don’t want to confuse people by using both “license” and “licenses”—a license made out of licenses.

The upshot here is that this could help readability in several licenses, all of which more or less borrowed this language from the Blue Oak Model. That includes Prosperity, the noncommercial license originally for License Zero.

I prefer saying “licenses you”, but if this new wording is easier to understand for most people, I’m fine with it.

2 Likes

Thanks! Most everyone else I’ve run this by has said they like the old wording.