We need an open source license for distributed systems, Catern.com

http://catern.com/freedist.html

The proponents of the SSPL claim it is an attempt to write such an copyleft open source license for distributed systems. The detractors claim it’s something completely different. I don’t really care; I just want an open source license which requires that, when licensed software is used to provide a service as part of a larger distributed system, the users of that service must be provided the freedom to run and modify their own copies of that distributed system. If that’s not the SSPL, then we should work on a new such license.

(That link links to Kyle’s blog)

Some stuff about AGPL loopholes in distributed systems, ending the post with:

I want users to be able to run high-quality distributed systems easily. There are lots of technical advances that we can pursue to make this easier, but we should also pursue social remedies. We will never have a large collection of low-cost, high-quality distributed system software unless the open source feedback loop starts running for distributed systems.

Haven’t read this yet. Don’t recall my blog post mentioning distributed systems, though. Does “distributed system” mean “service built with back end services”?

Cryptographic Autonomy License?

Distributed systems meaning more p2p and yes it’s similar to CAL and/or Icepick in desires — being able to run the entire “stack” or “system” required to make use of services.

Interesting to me that people are realizing that they want to preserve full autonomy.

Turns out I got an email from the author. Haven’t got to it yet.

I just want an [open source] license which requires that, when licensed software is used to provide a service as part of a larger distributed system, the users of that service must be provided the freedom to run and modify their own copies of that distributed system.

All seems to hinge on ‘distributed system’?

Trouble is, ‘distributed system’ from a CompSci frame of reference is NOT equivalent to ‘distributed system’ in terms of PolSci where institutions are a critical part of a distributed system distributing, distributed systems! as noted previously:

I don’t see any institution ready to… I don’t see any institution capable of… If existing institutions decline to guide and recognize those efforts… OSI in particular…